IV Therapy Certification Training
Professional Course for Healthcare Providers
What is Intravenous (IV) Therapy Training?
IV Therapy Certification Training prepares participants to effectively deliver nursing care to patients on infusion therapies and gain confidence in their abilities.
Through lecture, discussion, practice with vascular access training devices, and return demonstration participants learn to initiate, monitor and manage patients receiving IV infusions.
- Explain the indication and contraindications of peripheral IV therapy.
- Define selected venipuncture terms.
- Discuss infection control guidelines related to IV therapy.
- Discuss relevant anatomy related to site selection restrictions.
- Select the right equipment to insert and remove a peripheral IV catheter.
- Discuss care and monitoring of a patient with an IV.
- Discuss management of common complications of peripheral IV catheters.
- Discuss legal implications of IV therapy.
- Insert a peripheral IV on an anatomical model.
- Remove a peripheral IV from an anatomical model.
What is IV Certification?
Currently, there is not a national standard for IV Certification. Each state board of nursing has their own standards and each employer may have other requirements on top of these standards. Certificate of completion issued after completion. The certificate reads IV Therapy Certification Training. We certify that you’ve completed our comprehensive IV Therapy training course. We also provide a detailed course outline for you to present to your employer.
You can earn a Certified Registered Nurse in Infusion (CRNI) credential, but that is a separate process and exam. This is given by the Infusion Nurses Certification Corporation (INCC). One of the requirements is 1600 hours of IV experience as a practicing RN. This is often a more than our clients are looking for.
Our course is to familiarize the student with the information needed to perform the skill. Our course also offers IV practice time on simulated insertion devices. If you have more questions about the course please call us at 516-640-5372. We’ll be happy to help you determine if the course is right for you.